Monday, March 06, 2006

It's not often that I applaud Hollywood for doing something right...but today I will break with that tradition. Last night in a stunning announcement at the Academy, gay-cowboy flick: Brokeback Mountain was rejected for Best Picture. After having been predicted as a favorite to sweep the Oscars, Brokeback lost to Crash a film about interracial relations. Brokeback did however walk away with a total of three awards: Best Director (which should have gone to Andrew Adamson for his Narnia work, he wasn't even nominated), Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Musical Score. Next year the academy should take more time and nominate films that audiences have actually seen. None of the Best Picture nominations made it to the Top 10 grossing films of the year. The Academy apparently ignored this when making their decisions and I for one would like to know why...and I'm sure every Star Wars fan out there wanted Revenge of the Sith to be nominated and win something...being the last installment of that series. And I am shaking my head at the stupidity of the Academy...Narnia won one award: Best Makeup, come one, is that all you guys could think of?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget King Kong! That was one of the best movies of the year, and I think that only received one nomination for special effects or something. But overall, I completely agree with you. Revenge of the Sith, Narnia, King Kong and other movies that deserved a lot of recognition never received any at all.

JDC said...

I didn't see King Kong and so don't know how it was...but it did gross a lot, and I did forget it...King Kong won two small awards, I cna't remember which.